Winter break has been such a whirlwind. I've been out of school since December 20th, and since then have been in four different states and slept in nine different beds (I promise that is not as scandalous as it sounds)! After spending a few days in Michigan with Le Copain and his family, the two of us took a westward-bound train to Chicago to explore the city and more importantly, get him to his med school interview! While in Chicago, we kept referring to Chicago as the "Windy City", except we kept pronouncing "windy" in the sense that roads are windy, not the weather phenomenon. So cool. I know that's what you're thinking...
The night we arrived, we went out to dinner at the famous Ed Debevic's (where "quirky servers serve up great burgers, hot dogs, chili, fries, salads, and milkshakes with a side order of sass!"). Le copain and I ended up there for a few reasons...
- Le Copain's parents had mentioned that they had gone when he was little.
- Milkshakes, which totally brought us to that "yard" (...by yard I totally mean restaurant).
- For some reason, Ed Debevic's and the Chicago area in general were HUGE topics of conversation in my driver's ed car with my funny duck whistle blowing instructor ...along with Billy Joel.
The next day, we explored Chicago. Since it was a cold and snowy day, we spent the afternoon at Shedd Aquarium and then made our way back to the hotel going through Millenium Park (of course stopping to see the modern bandshell and the bean (!!!)) and walked over the Chicago River.
That night, we went out for some authentic deep dish pizza at Gino's East. I'm all for a slice of New York thin crusted pizza, but this was such a nice change. Gooey four-cheese pizza... whoa / yes, I did take a picture of my food :| ... On a side note, if you ever venture here Amies, you should bring a permanent marker since you are allowed to graffiti the walls/booths!
The next morning, Le Copain had his interview and the polar vortex came to Chicago. Negative fifteen degrees without windchill. Ouch. On a side note these polar vortex pick-up lines are too funny! Despite the weather, I made it to Evanston to visit Amie S! I got to meet her lovely/amusing roommates, recount tales of my crazy New Years, give advice to her roommates about layering for cold weather, and we all made a nice dinner of burrito bowls. The next day before heading home, I got to meet yet another lovely friend of hers for a delicious brunch. It was quite sad to head home, but also nice enough to be going home for a few days since I haven't really done that at all this break. I guess that's pretty much it for Chicago.
Until next time! xo













0 comments:
Post a Comment