Because I didn't share this already (or like anything for the past month since my computer broke) below are some hiking adventures from September when my mom and I went up to the Adirondacks for a mother-daughter hiking weekend just like last year.
The first mountain we summited, Marble Mountain, wasn't a high peak, but we made it to the top by 8:30, which is always a good way to start a morning.
Shortly after Marble, we came to a fork in the trail. One way was to Esther. The other to Whiteface.
We hiked Esther first.
It took us 1.5 hours roundtrip, but was surprisingly easy as far as Adirondack High Peaks go.
We then came back to the fork in the trail and headed up Whiteface. Whiteface is where the 1932 and 1980 Olympics took place, and a mountain I ski every few years. Having skied there before, it was so weird to stumble upon the chairlifts (and sit on them!) without any snow below.
Just around noon we made it to the summit of Whiteface.
And got some beautiful views of Lake Placid. I haven't been to the town of Lake Placid since I was much younger, but I'd never seen it at a height. Whoa.
Funny story about that building... We walked in and it had some benches and an elevator. We walked around looking at the maps on the wall and suddenly the elevator opened. I was like, "Let's get on Mom!" I thought it went up to the weather station. But no.
It started going down and the elevator operator was like... well you're on a ride 300 feet down into the mountain. We got out and were greeted by a dark tunnel and found ourself exiting into the parking lot where tourists who drive up the mountain park.

























0 comments:
Post a Comment