After Christmas and before New Years, Dan and I hiked our first winter Adirondack high peaks! Hiking all 46 Adirondack high peaks is a distinction in itself (I'm at 30), but hiking all 46 high peaks in the winter is on another level.
Ever since finishing my thru-hike in August, I've been keen on getting back to the mountains whenever I can (they don't exactly exist in the midwest) and I've been looking for new hiking goals to keep me motivated until the next thru-hike, so I figured winter break was the perfect time to get my Winter 46 started.
On the day Dan and I hiked, we left early in the morning to drive to Porter and Cascade - two mountains I've actually hiked in the summer before (Porter, 2013 / Cascade, 2013). Even though I've never done any "real" winter mountain climbing, the fact that I'd hiked them before coupled with roughing it in the woods for 5+ months was all it took to erase my worries. My parents felt differently (they acted like we were going to get stranded for days...), but Dan and I knew we were prepared and did our best to convince them so.
The hike itself was super icy and pretty short in terms of miles (6 miles), but it was so good! Given all the physical activity and all the layers, both Dan and I were so warm the entire time and even though the views were limited, the winter scenery more than made up for it. I love the city, but it reminded me how much I love the mountains.



0 comments:
Post a Comment