It's been awhile, huh? The last two weeks have completely flown by. Literally. I was on a plane four times in eight days! In addition to all the travels, there have also been some some busy work days and other big life happenings. Here's the first little bit of them - a trip to New York two weekends ago to celebrate Mother's Day with my mom!

Joe and I got in late on Friday night after a pretty uneventful flight from Chicago to LaGuardia. I was also super excited to see that some of the advertising work I did a few years ago was still up.

On Saturday morning, Joe, my mom, and I went to Rockefeller State Park to go on a run. It was so rainy and the paths were really wet, but I loved being back and running at one of my favorite places. We also checked out the peonies which were in bloom. I didn't exactly realize they grew on bushes. Joe, my mom, and I all ran three miles. After three miles, Joe and my mom turned around to walk while I ran another two, plus the three from where I left them. I caught them just before we got back to the car which was perfect.
After running (and drying off), the rest of the day was spent at home eating and watching Law and Order SVU. My mom had never seen Law and Order SVU and while the graphic content/stories freaked her out she got addicted right alongside us.
As for dinner, we stayed in. It was perfect for a rainy night. After dinner, lots of bourbon and scotch followed. My dad always tries to educate Joe (and me) on these matters, which is always a funny event. There was also lots of talk about The Beatles. Joe maybe brought up that I've been making it my goal to listen to each album enough times so I know it all the way through (because I am), and my dad got so so so excited... It's the little things you guys ;)
On Sunday morning, Joe and I ventured all over Westchester. We started off in Millwood and checked out the new grocery store in an attempt to buy some ingredients to make my mom a vegan cheesecake for Mother's Day. However, no one told me the new grocery store that replaced the A&P I grew up with was a ritzy specialty foods store. $1 for non-organic lemons. $17 for cashews. I literally couldn't even.
After, I dropped Joe (who had come down with a cold) to hang out at Starbuck's while I went running from my high school! I couldn't remember the last time I was there and ran one of my favorite routes that I used to run during XC and track. It was much nicer out than Saturday, and brought back so much nostalgia. The gorgeous huge houses, the smell of springtime, I felt like I should be thinking about calculus tests and that guy I liked way too much in high school like I used to when I ran those routes, but no, I thought about vegan cheesecake and friends and how hilly Westchester is compared to Chicago.

That's how hilly it is in case you're wondering. I don't usually even run that much elevation in a month in Chicago.



Also, not that we're talking about rude awakenings, but talk about rude awakenings! The track I'd run and walked so many miles on during high school (and in college) got ripped up. I guess they're putting in a turf field. Whoa. I hate it.

Also, not that we're talking about rude awakenings, but talk about rude awakenings! The track I'd run and walked so many miles on during high school (and in college) got ripped up. I guess they're putting in a turf field. Whoa. I hate it.
After running, I picked up Joe and we finally made it over to see my lovely twin friends.
And eat some sugar cubes, per tradition.
There were delicious scones too.
We also saw their lovely twin dogs (who aren't actually twins)!
Joe and I had plans to be home soon so I could make the cheesecake and so we could go to the Peekskill Riverwalk, but ugh, it was so good to catch up! Joe and I only stayed for half an hour, but it's so true that you always pick up where you left off with good friends. The time together also always blows by too fast even if it's hours.


After arriving home and making the cheesecake, we all went out to go to the Peekskill Riverwalk. Dan took the train in from the city and met us there. We found some fun art.
And enjoyed the blue skies while they lasted before another rainstorm later in the afternoon.




0 comments:
Post a Comment