June 30, 2017

OUR FIRST APARTMENT GUESTS // STUFF FROM A FEW WEEKENDS AGO

A few weekends ago, my brother Dan and his friend Theresa came to Chicago! They were in town for a music festival, but we still got to spend lots of time hanging out. 

So this wasn't actually with Dan and Theresa since they were at the music festival on Friday night, but Joe and I went out for dinner in the West Loop. We went to Parlor Pizza, which is where we went for my birthday. It's one of my absolute favorite restaurants in Chicago. We had to wait an hour for a table so we walked around looking at the street art in the West Loop and catching up after our busy weeks.  

The wait was so worth it. Thin crust pizza with burrata, truffle oil, and arugula with a lemon vinaigrette + Chicago craft beers + fries... it made the work week seem like a distant memory.

Oh and we at this too. After dinner we got dessert at Bombobar. This vanilla gelato bomboloni (an Italian donut) sandwich dipped in salted caramel sauce and coated in fruity pebbles... life changing. While the food in Chicago is good, I haven't had too many of those "life changing" food experiences that I always had in NYC (e.g., Cronut! Ippudo ramen! Creme brulee donut at Doughnut Plant! Boqueria tapas! Etc!). I already feel like I need another bomboloni really soon.

On Saturday morning, the kids were home after a late night partying (they invited me and Joe to an afterparty, but only Joe got the text because it was midnight and I'd already been asleep for like... 2 hours... ha). We went out for brunch in our neighborhood at Kanela and then made our way to Millennium Park, which is about a mile from our apartment. 



Obviously we saw The Bean first. Maybe it's because I'm not originally from Chicago, but I always love seeing it time after time. 


After, we walked a bit further south to Buckingham Fountain. It's supposedly one of the biggest fountains in the world, but try as I might, I can't find a list of the biggest fountains. 

We headed home after our morning of touristing and ended up pregaming. This pic is from when Joe and I introduced Dan and Theresa to German chocolate cake shots. This is also a life changing food (drink/shot) experience, just saying. (1 part Frangelico + 1 part vanilla vodka + a lemon wedge dipped in sugar).



Later in the afternoon Dan and Theresa went back to Day 2 of the festival, so Joe and I met up with friends. We got rainbow cones at Navy Pier and tried to play mini golf, but apparently Navy Pier got rid of it when they built the new ferris wheel last year! 

Instead, we ended up having a BBQ. Joe and I obviously brought the sangria ;)


On Sunday morning, I woke up super early and went for a long run. 13.1 miles! I ran all over Chicago and it was pretty hot out, but I didn't feel completely awful which was nice. Also, I went for a quick swim at the end! 

Everyone was still passed out when I got home after my run, but once everyone was up, we went to Lou Malnati's for deep dish. It had been a few months since I last had it, and it totally hit the spot.  


( Pizza eating sights. )


On Sunday night, Dan and Theresa were at Day 3 of their festival (they were leaving really early on Monday morning). Joe and I hung out and went back to hangout at the beach at night. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment