December 10, 2014

Exposed Brick Walls :: A Love Story (And The Start Of An Apartment Hunt!)

Yesterday, the lovely Amie DB and I started our New York City apartment search! Crazy.

(Also, have I mentioned that we're more than six months out of college now?!)

We liked the few apartments we saw, but neither of us is quite ready for a January 1st move-in, which is what most landlords are looking for at this point. For our search we have a somewhat long list of criteria, but even so, I think we're both pretty hopeful.

As for our list of criteria?...

1. A safe neighborhood.

2. Monthly rent/broker fees that don't bankrupt us/allow us to save to go back to school.

3. A commute of thirty minutes or less each way (and ideally in Manhattan).

4. Utilities Included (especially heat).

5. And exposed brick walls.

The last is purely aesthetic compared to the other four, but there is something so NYC-romantic about apartments with brick walls. Not that any of our apartments will be as fancy as the ones above, but isn't the brick in them so charming?

Is there anything I'm missing on my list that's on your list?

Photo Sources 
1 :: 2  :: 3 ::  4 :: 5 

5 comments:

  1. Laundry on-site! I don't have this and I so wish I did. Also a dishwasher. But I bet those are luxuries that are prob so hard to come by in NYC since they're hard enough to score in Toronto. You can get faux brick wallpaper (removable even), so that's an easy fix! Apartment hunting is one of my least favourite things ever, so good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ones--thanks!
    Dishwashers are very hard to come by (let alone any counter space!), but some buildings I've seen online have laundry... fingers crossed on that one.

    And removable wallpaper sounds great if my exposed brick dreams don't come true at first! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, yeeees. Exposed brick walls are always so beautiful and add to the esthetic. My fiance and I are apartment shopping right now & one of the places we were looking at. Had that feature, and it immediately jumped to the top of my list. Best wishes on apartment hunting, I know it can be a stressful experience! Hopefully you find everything you're looking for :)

    Deanna | Curly Top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping so too and good luck to you as well. Hopefully wherever you are is a bit easier than NYC!

      Delete
  4. Exposed brick walls are the coolest... hope you find the perfect place! :)

    xo
    Hems
    http://agoldentulip.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete