I feel like I say this in every one of these posts, but I still can't believe that I'm training for a marathon. Or really, that I even get to train for a marathon. I identified as a runner for more than five years, felt like I was stripped of that identity for three years when I had all those knee issues, wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to run long distances again, and here I am, running long distances (and taking names).
I went into Week 7 of training yesterday (still going strong!), but here's a little recap of Week 5:
SUNDAY // LONG RUN
15 MILES @ 9:36 MIN/MILE
It wasn't until Mile 11 that the run got hard. I had brought a 12 oz water bottle filled with lemon lime Gatorade, but I finished it midway through Mile 10 and was still so thirsty. I felt like I could finish another one right there if someone were to hand me one.
Speaking of someone handing me one... I ended up giving Joe a call. He was originally planning to finish the end of the run with me anyways so I thought I'd see if he wanted to run north to meet me and bring me a water bottle. When we met at Mile 13, I was so happy to see him AND he brought me a water! Yeah... he's kind of the best :) I drank that one so quickly lol.
Joe's pace wasn't unreasonably fast, but it was definitely faster than I'd been running prior to meeting up, but I figured I might as well push myself to keep up with him for the remainder of the run.
We finished at the beach and I totally made him join me in the water. And take a picture of me too to commemorate the occasion (and perhaps inadvertently the fact that that I totally need to ditch that sports bra because it's super old haha).
MONDAY // RECOVERY RUN
4 MILES @ 9:32 MIN/MILE
I wasn't actually planning to run, but with the long weekend I got out on the lakefront path for 4 miles. It was hot and I had eaten lunch too close to running, but running on a Monday afternoon was way better than being at work.
TUESDAY // SPEED RUN
1.5 MILE WARM UP + 4 x 0.5 MILES (2 @ TEMPO / 2 @ 10K) + 2 MILE COOL DOWN
Right after watching the 2017 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest (because I totally do that every year lol), I got dressed in some patriotic running clothes and went out for my weekly speed run.
Joe joined too, donning my pink stopwatch!

After warming up with a mile and a half around our neighborhood, we went to the track, banged out a quick workout and ran a long cooldown on our way home. Not too bad for a holiday.
THURSDAY // TEMPO RUN
2 MILES @ TEMPO PACE + 2 x .5 MILES @ 10K PACE + 2.5 MILE SLOW
This run was a fail. It seems like morning tempo runs aren't really my thing. The last few tempo runs I've done, I've hit most of the splits I'm supposed to, but it's such an effort and I feel so sluggish. I made it 2/3 of the way through this workout and crashed and decided it was probably better to just finish with a slow jog home so jog I did. This was all done before work though, so that in itself was a little bit of a win.



0 comments:
Post a Comment