A lot of the amis have plans for next year. Most are pursuing masters or doctorate degrees. Their future plans are to become mathematicians, physical therapists, engineers, lawyers, architects, atmospheric scientists, etc. I'm really excited for all of them. They're all so deserving and will be great at whatever they end up doing. That being said, it has been really difficult to sit there realizing my "golden years" at Cornell are ending with no plans for the future as most of them have the "we have futures" conversations. This holds even more true especially when I've applied to close to thirty jobs with no avail. Then there was Tuesday. Late Tuesday afternoon, by some stroke of fate, I did finally receive a call to schedule an interview after months of nothing. Well wow. So there I was with an interview scheduled for Thursday, rushing around picking out an outfit, out buying tights at Target, doing my research like crazy... ya know. Then bright and early on Thursday, I made a voyage to my birthplace--New York City.
Being in New York always floods me with feelings--more specifically the "welcome home" sort of feelings that come from spending the first year and a half of my life in the city, even though I don't remember any of it. The position I interviewed for and the people who interviewed me (six of them!) were great. It definitely felt like a really good fit for me. While nothing is certain, the whole day was a good reminder that I have a future ahead of me. I even browsed apartments on my bus ride back for the heck of it. I don't know if I'll ever be ready to graduate from Cornell, but it's really nice to know that the future holds exciting possibilities. (It's also exciting to know that the future may hold Shake Shack... I went for the first time yesterday and for the record, fries and a concrete (soft serve with mix-ins) were totally a good call :D).
To the other two (or more?) of you amies who were also in New York City by coincidence yesterday/today/tomorrow(?), I hope you had lovely trips and I'm very sorry I missed seeing you because it has been a very very long while.
Being in New York always floods me with feelings--more specifically the "welcome home" sort of feelings that come from spending the first year and a half of my life in the city, even though I don't remember any of it. The position I interviewed for and the people who interviewed me (six of them!) were great. It definitely felt like a really good fit for me. While nothing is certain, the whole day was a good reminder that I have a future ahead of me. I even browsed apartments on my bus ride back for the heck of it. I don't know if I'll ever be ready to graduate from Cornell, but it's really nice to know that the future holds exciting possibilities. (It's also exciting to know that the future may hold Shake Shack... I went for the first time yesterday and for the record, fries and a concrete (soft serve with mix-ins) were totally a good call :D).
To the other two (or more?) of you amies who were also in New York City by coincidence yesterday/today/tomorrow(?), I hope you had lovely trips and I'm very sorry I missed seeing you because it has been a very very long while.




0 comments:
Post a Comment