August 19, 2014

Reading For Those Who Don't Have The Time To Read :: 10 Quick Reads

A last week conversation with Amie L (hi!) got me thinking about why people don't read so much.
I know that reading tons isn't for everyone, but I'm hoping to change that, even if everyone doesn't commute like I do on the train for two hours a day ;p

In college I figured out what worked for me in terms of reading when I was "busy" so I guess I'll share that wisdom (or whatever you call "wisdom" coming from a somewhat unworldly twenty-two year old). Feel free to take note. Or ignore. Whatever suits.

What Didn't Work

  • Reading during test/busier-than-usual weeks 
  • Reading when I had lots of other reading to do (reading for school then reading more = boring)
  • Reading books for knowledge/literary breadth rather than page-turning stories
  • Reading long books (450+ pages)

What Worked

  • Books directed at teenagers ("YA lit" as Amie L calls that fun/potentially angsty genre)
  • Guilty pleasure books (e.g: Fitty-Shades. I'm not even that embarrassed.)
  • Books written by comedians (...think short, funny chapters) 
  • Books written in journal or letter form 
  • Reading at the gym 
  • Reading during awkward between-class breaks

I think that's all I've got. On that note, here are ten books I've read in the past few years that I enjoyed and think qualify as quick reads. (They're listed in order based on their number of pages.)




1. Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo (163 pages)
A plow-through-in-two-hours kind of read. I liked it. It made me think a lot about heaven even though I'm not very religious. That being said this probably isn't the book for you if you're vehemently against religion. It could open your mind (and heart?) too... 

2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (213 pages)
My high school favorite. I bought this book twice actually. It's written as quirky heartfelt letters (usually 1-5 pages each), which makes it easy to read it a little at a time. It's the only book that I've read since I was 15 that I have read more than twice. I'll put my count at six. 

3. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling (222 pages)
A very quick and funny read, indeed (I was able to finish it in a night)! Chapters have mini chapters/stories within them. Some are just lists. The book definitely feels more like 100-150 pages.

4. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (224 pages)
You definitely have to pay attention to what's going on (there are some crazy plot twists), but it's not overly complicated and chapters are short (usually 4-10 pages).

5. Bossypants by Tina Fey (275 pages)
This was such a great book. Funny, short chapters (usually 2-6 pages) about Tina Fey's life. I actually read this book during a  busy week in one or two chapter installments. 

6. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Wells (288 pages)
This book was a quick read for me because I liked the colorful, but unfortunate story more than anything else. It was broken up into sections pretty well which made putting down and coming back to it easy. 

7. Orange Is The New Black by Piper Kerman (298 pages)
Not as short-feeling, but chapters were broken up in the right spot and it was a unique story. For the record it's much different than the show (although I only saw one episode). Much more... tame. 

8. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green (313 pages)
I read this entire book during a single slow day during my internship last summer. It's absolutely the bittersweetest. You probably all know that by now though based on its movie's success.

9. The Diary Of A Young Girl by Anne Frank (352 pages)
This one probably requires no introduction. It's journal-entry form make it easy to put down and come back to later. Definitely worth a read -- especially from a historical/literary perspective.

10. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (422 pages)
Although a bit longer, this book was an all-out page-turner. I couldn't put it down. I read it while eating dinner, I read it during small breaks, I even read it one night instead of watching The Bachelorette! THE BACHELORETTE! I was that into it. 

And now it's your turn (I do hope you respond...)

What are some of your favorite quick reads? Or actually, have you read anything good lately whether 40 pages or 940 pages. (I'm always interested in new reading material). 

2 comments:

  1. The Diary of Anne Frank is amazing. It's such an eye-opening, page turner. It's crazy to think it's all real. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey erin! I have been meaning to pick up the fault in our stars for the longest time, but something always gets in the way ( usually another book ). I just wanted to let you know I've nominated you and your cute blog for a liebster award. you can find out more about that here. hope you're having an amazing summer!

    love, arielle
    a simple elegance

    ReplyDelete