September 17, 2014

Food And A Thought :: My Favorite Meal To Make During College


Now that I live at home, I rarely ever cook/grocery shop for myself, which I miss a lot. Way back when I was in college (aka: 3.5 months ago), soba noodles with stir fried vegetables in a curry ginger soy sauce was one of my favorite meals to make. It was super easy, a de-stresser to make (chopping vegetables with sharp knives is one place where I always find my zen...), and so tasty and healthy.

Last night, I got home from work and had the house to myself so figured I'd grab a few ingredients at the grocery store and do pretty much my first cooking since being home from school in May (seriously not sure what took me so long/why I don't more). This meal serves three or four and is 100% vegan and 100% perfect for leftovers...hello to my work lunch today and tomorrow!

Main Ingredients ::
1/4 cup canola oil
1.5 cups of shelled edamame (mukayame)
15 baby carrots (or 2 regular carrots)
1 red pepper
5 cremini mushrooms
1 large cooking onion
1 packet of soba noodles (whole thing should have ~900 to 1200 calories)

(On the other hand, use whatever vegetables you like and have on hand. Who am I to tell you which vegetables you can and can't use?).

Sauce Ingredients ::
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons of red curry paste
1 tablespoon grated ginger (or 1 teaspoon dry)
Red pepper flakes (to taste)

Directions ::
01. Start a pot of boiling water.
02. Heat up canola oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
03. Chop up vegetables. Add to frying pan starting with carrots, then onions and peppers, then edamame since it's frozen. Stir as needed.
04. Combine all sauce ingredients. Add to vegetables and continue cooking until tender.
05. Add soba noodles to boiling water. Turn off water and wait 4-6 minutes. Once noodles are softened, drain and serve with vegetables.



And since I minored in nutrition... 



0 comments:

Post a Comment