Last weekend, three of the lovely amies and I went wine touring in the Finger Lakes (hi whenever you read this!)! It was so much fun to go with these ladies who have been my friends since way back when. Grade school to wine touring... who would've thought?!
Friday, the night before our departure, we slept over at Amie AB's like old times. Even though I swore off drinking for the night, Amie AL popped over with sangria, and well, I definitely forgot any promises I made. We all did. Thankfully there were enough of us to spread it out amongst though! ;)
On Saturday morning, we drove up to the Finger Lakes through some unfortunate rain and started our day off with a modest in-car picnic (to help absorb the alcohol to come). We started our Tour de Vineyards at Americana Vineyards on Cayuga Lake.
At Americana, our sommelier was great with recommendations and finally gave me two samples where I could clearly taste what an "oaked" wine tastes like. Like I thought I knew, but oak isn't exactly a food I eat all that much lol. I tried same wine twice, but one version had been aged in oak and the other had been aged in steel. After that I knew what oak tastes like. Simple as that!
Next we went to Bellwether Cidery/Winery to taste hard ciders. We tried ciders that almost tasted like champagne, ciders that tasted like crisp commerical ciders, and a special and very delicious cider that had black current juice in it and was a beautiful pink color. Talk about dan-ger-ous!
Those three vineyards concluded Part I of our tour on Cayuga Lake and then with a BAC of barely 0.03 (we brought along a breathalyzer to stay on the safe side!), we drove off to Seneca Lake to taste at Red Newt and Atwater, which I visited over senior week as well.
Stay tuned for Part 2!
xo




Time2Wine! I'd love to go on a wine tour. Looks fun, especially those kooky glasses. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯
ReplyDelete