
The Guzzle is an ice cream parlor/casual eatery/penny candy shop/arcade on Wellesley Island in The Thousand Islands. For me, it has sometthing I appreciate year after year in life as other things change, not to mention a staple of every trip to The Thousand Islands.
When I was younger, I loved going there for an ice cream with my cousins in a flavor of my choosing (where are all my cotton candy flavored ice cream ladies (and guys) at?!).
In middle and high school, it was the thrill going there without any adult supervision and buying a dollar or two worth of penny candy, and proceeding to eat it all with my brother and our cousin.
Today, it's The Guzzle's nostalgia inducing familiarity. It's taking younger cousins to its arcade to show them how Pac Man is played, or introducing Le Copain to its penny candy wonders, or stopping in with three generations of family members to all enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, or buying a root beer float to take down to the docks as a mid-afternoon treat.
The Guzzle has been great over the years, but unfortunately, I'm not just here to rave about it.
Something sad happened a few weeks ago. Late one night, The Guzzle burned to the ground (see here). Fortunately no one was hurt, but the loss of this special place feels particularly sad. Even though the building was insured and there's a recovery fund, the uncertainty of what will become of The Guzzle is unsettling. It would be really hard to go back to The Thousand Islands if The Guzzle were no longer there. I guess all that can be done for now is to hope for the best and remember all the good times spent there over the years...
September 9, 2014
The Guzzle
Circa 1996
( Moi et Le Frère, incase you couldn't tell! )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About
Hi! I'm Erin (aka: Amie E)!
This (work-in-progress) is my spot to share all of my post-college, adult-becoming, real-world-taking-on adventures.
Thanks a bunch for reading/skimming/viewing/ accidentally ending up here!
This (work-in-progress) is my spot to share all of my post-college, adult-becoming, real-world-taking-on adventures.
Thanks a bunch for reading/skimming/viewing/ accidentally ending up here!




What a cute ice cream parlour, so sorry to hear it got burned down! At least you have photographs to remember by. xo
ReplyDelete