This past Saturday, the lovely mother and I hiked three Adirondack high peaks, which now puts me at half way to being an Adirondack 46er! (Apparently she is at 22, and shocked that I've surpassed her by a single peak).
We unfortunately arrived too late to get a parking spot on Saturday morning (aka: 8:00am) so had to park a mile away and walk to the Adirondack Loj trailhead, which was somewhat annoying, but definitely didn't put too much of a damper on the morning (...the extra mile walk at the end of the hike on tired legs however... lol).
The trails and peaks themselves were so busy. You were almost always in sight of, or at least almost always in earshot of another human, especially with the way the quiet forests seem to echo. The mountain tops almost felt like beaches!
Our first summit was Algonquin (the second highest peak in New York!), which I actually hiked when I was in third grade. Much of the climb is a rock scramble, which turns into a rockface shuffle the closer you get to the top. Even though I'd been on top of Algonquin before I honestly had no recollection of the views. I remember brief bits of hiking it, but not the summit, so it felt like a brand new peak to me.
The backside of Algonquin is where we picked up the trail to Iroquois. When we made it to the top we ate lunch and soaked up the views before going down.
There was a cool rock "couch" at the top of Iroquois with the best views in town.
After Iroquois, we hiked back down it, then up Algonquin, then down Algonquin until we reach the trailhead to Wright.
Wright, was perhaps the coolest summit of the day. You could see Heart Lake from it and a little ways off the summit were the remains of a plane wreck from the early 60's!
Coming down Wright, we also ran into this French-Canadian guy with a board on his back who informed us that he made a bucket list and one of the things on his list was to hike all 46 Adirondack high peaks... and extreme iron on the top of each one. Yup. I had to ask to get his picture since I wasn't sure anyone would believe me, but it's a real thing! I'm now starting to think I need a cooler list of things to do.
The rest of the hike after that was fairly uneventful. The crowds from the morning had almost vanished and the lovely mother and I were ready to be back at the car. Once we made it to the car, we drove to the diner we always frequent after Adirondack hikes for a grilled cheese/milkshake kind of dinner and called it a day.
'Twas a fun trip had by all. :)






0 comments:
Post a Comment