February 9, 2015

Night At The Museum

Amie AB and I went to see the Matisse exhibit at MoMA on Saturday night and it was so cool!
After moving furniture all morning I was planning on watching Grey's Anatomy in bed all night, but Facebook browsing turned into stumbling on a Times article about the huge Matisse exhibit  at MoMA that ends on Tuesday so Amie AB and I decided to go and ordered tickets for the first time they were available: 11:30 pm!

The exhibit was packed and the people watching was at its best. Cultured retirees, alternative art-appreciating families, young adults looking for something fun to do on a Saturday night (us!), sophisticated 30-somethings, and J. Crew's Jenna Lyons. JENNA LYONS! Amie AB and I were in heaven and perhaps kept a ten foot distance between ourselves and her as we toured the galleries. It was awesome. And stalkerish. But AWESOME! Let's just focus on that. It was also my first celebrity spotting since moving to Manhattan. 

This work above was one of my favorites. Titled, "The Parakeet and the Mermaid". The exhibit was so huge and covered so many rooms that it was hard to pick one favorite though. I haven't been to many art museums so don't really have a personal strategy for viewing art, but staying in one artist-focused exhibit and seeing so many different renditions of Matisse's cutouts over time seemed like a great way to appreciate art. 


Almost everyone was taking pictures even though you weren't supposed to. As expected, Amie AB and I fell into the group of "everyone". This was one of many covert attempts, hence the blurriness.

I became so enamored with the quirky organic shapes. I swear while I slept Saturday night, visions of Matisse cutouts were dancing in my head. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment