June 4, 2015

More From Memorial Day Weekend

Now for the Sunday and Monday I spent in Chicago...

Spoiler alert: They were both pretty similar to Saturday and also included delicious food and pretty walks. I hope you decide to keep reading anyway though ;)


On Sunday, Le Copain and I started the day off with a doughnut brunch. They weren't quite as good as Doughnut Plant's, but they were still very tasty. This doughnut shop also had fun décor too!


After brunch we went on another pretty Chicago walk towards Navy Pier.

It wasn't as sunny as Saturday's walk, but a good one nevertheless full of people watching and site spotting. We didn't make it to Navy Pier, but we did see one interpretive dance photo shoot, a big wedding photo shoot, and a bunch of people riding in four person bikes that looked like golf carts. I think that's going on my list of things to do next time I'm in Chicago. 

On Sunday night, Le Copain and I went out for a fancy sushi dinner with the rest of his friends and watched Interstellar with them. I'm not much of a movie person (I usually tend to fall asleep at some point), but it was pretty interesting since I've always been pretty interested in outer space. 

And then there was Monday, which was also similar to Saturday and Sunday. 
In the morning, Le Copain and I went out for a walk and awkwardly got caught in the rain without umbrellas. How. Romantic. (But not really at all. It was pretty funny though.)

Thankfully the weather cleared up in the afternoon so we went to Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams in Wicker Park, which I've wanted to go to forever after hearing all the rave reviews, minus the recent listeria scare of course, but even that didn't seem to scare anyone away. The line was out the door!

Not really related, but almost half the people in the line had kids under two years old in strollers. Kind of random since kids under two don't usually eat much ice cream, but it kind of made me think of the future. Like that could be us in five or ten years! I don't want to jinx it or freak anyone out with my future dreams, but at this point, I do hope it is.
And while I'm on the subject of depicting the line for you, the other half you ask? HIPSTERS! Tattoos and fun sneakers and Warby Parker glasses and other things I can't even begin to understand!
Wicker Park oddly had such a Williamsburg vibe to it. It was kind of endearing and unexpected, although after a quick Google search, it turns out that Wicker Park is the fourth most hipster neighborhood in America. I'm sure everyone in Illinois knew that, so I'm not going to say "WHO KNEW?!"... but I didn't.  

Oh and let's forget about the line now and talk about the much anticipated splendid ice cream. I got wild berry lavender (which matched my shirt perfectly!) and sun popped corn because I love popcorn flavored desserts (I honestly have no clue why no one else does). But oh em gee. It was very splendid indeed! So splendid that I keep dreaming of going back over Labor Day weekend and/or checking Jeni's website's ever-changing flavor menu every few days. Ha. 

And because I should probably not forget Le Copain (even if he scoffed at my popcorn flavored ice cream), he got chocolate and claimed it was one of the very best chocolates he's had so Jeni's was a success for all!


On our way back to Streeterville, we walked took the L halfway and then walked the other half so we could walk by my company's Chicago office because who knows... I could be working there one day.

And Monday night we finished at Gino's East for deep dish just like we always do when I come to Chicago.

And that mes amies sums up my Memorial Day weekend. I headed out horribly early on Tuesday morning and made it back to NYC in time for work. Hope you had a good Memorial Day weekend too (even if I'm super late on posting this)!

0 comments:

Post a Comment