This week, I completed my first 20 mile running week in 3.5 years!

SATURDAY // 7.3 MILES @ 9:15 MIN/MILE
NRC HOME RUN ON THE LAKEFRONT PATH
We had the most beautiful day last Saturday in Chicago. Blue, blue skies. A light breeze. Flowers blooming... Totally dreamy. Still feeling tired from the previous weekend's Shuffle and sore from strength training during the week, I went with the 9:30 min/mile group. A bird ended up pooping on a few of us in the first quarter mile, but besides that funny little incident, it was a great sunny run.

Last Sunday, I woke up at 6:30 am and went out for a run an hour later. Since it was such a nice weekend, the lakefront path was fairly busy even before 8:00 am. My hip and knee were a bit sore from Saturday's run, but I ran super slowly and really enjoyed myself. I even was able to text my mom on and off throughout the run haha.



SUNDAY // 6 MILES @ 9:58 MIN/MILE
SOLO ON THE LAKEFRONT PATH
I've been waking up so early lately. I've finally gotten out of the bad habit of staying up late on my computer, and I'm so thankful for that. Full disclosure, I have melatonin tablets to thank. Also Joe and his super early schedule!Last Sunday, I woke up at 6:30 am and went out for a run an hour later. Since it was such a nice weekend, the lakefront path was fairly busy even before 8:00 am. My hip and knee were a bit sore from Saturday's run, but I ran super slowly and really enjoyed myself. I even was able to text my mom on and off throughout the run haha.

TUESDAY // 6.7 MILES (1 MILE @ 10 MIN/MILE, 5.7 MILES @ 8:37 MIN/MILE)
NRC SPEED RUN ON THE LAKEFRONT
Ever since the Shamrock Shuffle, I've been working so hard on my fitness game. As a result, I've been doing more wall sits, planks, push ups, and more of other weird exercises whose names I don't remember. After some post-run exercises on Sunday, my hamstrings were still really sore on Tuesday, but I decided to drag myself to NRC's speed run anyway.
Since I felt so sore, I dropped down a group, although this is probably the group I should be running with. We ran 800 meters at 5K pace (8:00 min/mile), alternated with 800 meters at 10K pace (8:36 min/mile), with 1:30 rest in between, plus a few 400 meters at mile pace (7:30 min/mile) thrown in there. It wasn't easy by any means, but I warmed up quickly and felt really good the whole time.
Once the speed run was done, I realized I had 2 miles to go to hit my 20 mile goal for the week. I decided to just run my final two miles around the track. I listened to the Beatles's Help! album and ran around in the dark and felt so happy. Something about running around a track at night while listening to music has always felt so meditative to me. There's a track only a minute's walk from my apartment and I really need to do more nighttime running on it now that it's warm out.
Since I felt so sore, I dropped down a group, although this is probably the group I should be running with. We ran 800 meters at 5K pace (8:00 min/mile), alternated with 800 meters at 10K pace (8:36 min/mile), with 1:30 rest in between, plus a few 400 meters at mile pace (7:30 min/mile) thrown in there. It wasn't easy by any means, but I warmed up quickly and felt really good the whole time.
Once the speed run was done, I realized I had 2 miles to go to hit my 20 mile goal for the week. I decided to just run my final two miles around the track. I listened to the Beatles's Help! album and ran around in the dark and felt so happy. Something about running around a track at night while listening to music has always felt so meditative to me. There's a track only a minute's walk from my apartment and I really need to do more nighttime running on it now that it's warm out.



0 comments:
Post a Comment