May 29, 2017

FLYWHEEL


Last week, Maggie and I went to a Flywheel class and wow, I have so many thoughts to share!

Before Flywheel, I had been to a few other spin classes including Soulcycle and to be honest, I didn't love any of them. They always felt like a great workout, but I usually felt like I was the only one struggling in the class and with a partially torn ACL, the fact that the pedals don't stop moving when you want them to has made my knee feel unstable in the past.

In the few weeks leading up to our fateful night at Flywheel, Maggie kept saying how we should workout together... either a run or spin class (with extra emphasis on the spin class). I said I was up for either, although I was definitely leaning towards running since it's something I always feel comfortable doing and because what can beat free exercise?! Definitely not at $25 spin class. The days went by and we didn't make plans given my busy work and travel schedule and because I came down with a cold. However, once I was over the cold, Maggie mentioned she found a code for a first free class at Flywheel, and there I was without any excuse to say no.

So Flywheel.... Last Tuesday after work at 7:30 pm. It was so nice to show up with a friend! I'm always that girl who shows up by herself, which is fine because I don't feel uncomfortable doing things by myself, but sometimes it's a little hard when I realize that all the girls around me have come with friends and I'm just doing my own thing and having a hard time approaching others.

Anyway, I didn't know much about Flywheel before the class, but quickly learned upon showing up. Unlike the spin classes I've done in the past, Flywheel is quantitative. Rather than going on feeling, you have a monitor on your bike and you always know what your resistance is, what your RPM is, what your power is, etc. Also, you know what your place is amongst your gender in the class. Yup. Isn't that kind of crazy?!

Finding out that the class was ranked based on your power score, Maggie and I were like OMG this is going to be a rough time. And yes, it was a rough time, but a few lovely little things happened during the class.

  1. My knee felt surprisingly good. There was only one point when I was shifting from sitting to standing where it didn't feel so good. Guess it's from all the wall sits.
  2. The class was hard... like really hard. Sweating buckets hard. Contemplating taking off my soaked shirt hard. Despite the class being really hard, I wasn't the worst one in the class! Far from it actually. I maintained 6th place for the entire class. And Maggie placed 5th. If that isn't an ego-booster, I don't know what is. 
  3. The songs I needed to hear at the end played. It kind of felt like a bit of a sign that I could make it through. And I did. 
After class, Maggie and I were on such an endorphin high. It was after 8:30 pm and sprinkling out and I had work the next day, but we ended up walking around and talking for another half hour since most places were closed and we both really just needed some fresh air. I swore that I wouldn't get wrapped up in fancy fitness classes, but OMG. Flywheel is probably going to happen a few times more. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment