So the Soldier Field 10 Mile... Given that this race was nearly three weeks ago, it's definitely time for a recap! The Soldier Field 10 Mile was on the Saturday over Memorial Day weekend and it was my first double-digit race in six years! Here are a lot of ramblings about it and the whole morning before and after it.
The morning of the race began at 5:15 am, and surprisingly it wasn't as painful as it probably sounds. I had a cup of black tea, a swig of coconut water, and a blueberry crisp Clif bar. I fumbled for all my stuff in the dark, trying not to wake up Joe (but inevitably waking him up), and departed for the red line station at 5:45 am. Since I don't take the train often, I messed up and ended up waiting on the wrong platform for ten minutes, but thankfully I didn't miss my train because I realized just two minutes that I was on the wrong side before the train I needed to take was due to arrive!
The train ride itself was quick and almost everyone on the train looked like they were heading to Soldier Field.
The train ride itself was quick and almost everyone on the train looked like they were heading to Soldier Field.
When I emerged from the subway, the sky was blue and the city views were incredible!
On the walk to the stadium, I ended up trailing this afro-wig-wearing guy whose shirt said "Live life to the fullest" which I loved.
I found my way to the outside of the stadium and managed to find the coveted table of safety pins to fasten my race number.
Once I fastened my number and used the bathroom, it was time to go into the stadium for the start of the race!
Upon entering the stadium, I found the 9:00 min/mile pace group. My race plan was to stick with the group for 6-8 miles and then if I felt okay at the end, break off.
As it turns out the race was a bit harder than I planned though. After about 7 miles, I ended up breaking off, but rather than pulling ahead of the group, I fell behind it.
As it turns out the race was a bit harder than I planned though. After about 7 miles, I ended up breaking off, but rather than pulling ahead of the group, I fell behind it.
The first two miles of the race were fun, but weird. The Mile 1 marker, was about a quarter mile further than it should've been and the Mile 2 marker was about a fifth of a mile closer than it should've been. That being said, the pace felt really comfortable even if the mile markers were in the wrong places.
Miles 3 and 4 seemed okay although there was no shade on the course. The temperature was in the low/mid 60's, but in the full sun it felt way hotter out.
The Mile 5 marker came way later than I expected it to and the pacer even turned to the group and told us that he had run the race a bunch of times and that the turnaround was placed too far out this year and that if we were expecting a PR, it would be hard work because it seemed like the course was set 0.15 miles too long.
We ended up changing directions a bit after Mile 5 (the race was an out and back but on two separate paths) and near the end of Mile 5, I started to feel myself slowly burning out. The pace itself wasn't hard, but I felt hot and tired (in a sleepy way). I also realized that I had probably over-hydrated the day before. While I was thirsty, I felt somewhat waterlogged and couldn't get myself to drink more than a sip or two.
I kept up with the 9:00 min/mile through Mile 6.5, but after that I started to slowly drop back. I only trailed behind by 10 or 20 feet through Mile 7, but after Mile 7 I fell back further and further behind until they were out of my sight at Mile 9.
At Mile 8, I saw Joe which lifted my spirits and I decided after I passed him that it must be time to put in my music to carry me through the rest of the race. (Britney obvi.)
At Mile 9, I passed quite a few walkers. While it does feel good to pass people in a race, it's hard to pass people walking at the end of a long race because your body is telling you that it wants to do that too, but your brain says keep going.
Miles 3 and 4 seemed okay although there was no shade on the course. The temperature was in the low/mid 60's, but in the full sun it felt way hotter out.
The Mile 5 marker came way later than I expected it to and the pacer even turned to the group and told us that he had run the race a bunch of times and that the turnaround was placed too far out this year and that if we were expecting a PR, it would be hard work because it seemed like the course was set 0.15 miles too long.
We ended up changing directions a bit after Mile 5 (the race was an out and back but on two separate paths) and near the end of Mile 5, I started to feel myself slowly burning out. The pace itself wasn't hard, but I felt hot and tired (in a sleepy way). I also realized that I had probably over-hydrated the day before. While I was thirsty, I felt somewhat waterlogged and couldn't get myself to drink more than a sip or two.
I kept up with the 9:00 min/mile through Mile 6.5, but after that I started to slowly drop back. I only trailed behind by 10 or 20 feet through Mile 7, but after Mile 7 I fell back further and further behind until they were out of my sight at Mile 9.
At Mile 8, I saw Joe which lifted my spirits and I decided after I passed him that it must be time to put in my music to carry me through the rest of the race. (Britney obvi.)
At Mile 9, I passed quite a few walkers. While it does feel good to pass people in a race, it's hard to pass people walking at the end of a long race because your body is telling you that it wants to do that too, but your brain says keep going.
The end of the race was probably my favorite. The course rounded back into the stadium. There was a long shady tunnel and when you made it to the end, you could see the light flooding in from Soldier Field and the finish line. As I ran towards the finish line, a woman who was starting to kick the final stretch passed me. While I didn't think I could match her pace, it inspired me to pass another girl directly in front of me. Somehow in that though, I ended up passing the woman who initially passed me (and maybe ruined her finish line pic :| ... that's her right behind me...)
When I finished, my phone said that I ran exactly a 9:00 min/mile pace, but the official pace said 9:08 min/mile. That being said, I was so excited about running my first ten mile race ever. Regardless of pace is was a PR.
Being in Soldier Field, I felt a bit like a football star even though the stadium was pretty empty.
I stretched and walked around for a bit and soon found Joe.
After exiting the stadium, Joe and I found ourselves at the after party. I love how it's called an after party because Joe and I rarely find ourselves at after parties and they just have a certain ring to them.
There was even beer!
And ice cream!!
And of course I happily consumed both!!!
Joe did too. We each had two pops. Ice cream is something we're always able to cheers to.
The best one-man cheer squad <3
After the hanging out on the grass for awhile as a band played, Joe and I ended up walking halfway home through the north end of Grant Park.
We popped over to Buckingham Fountain because it's pretty (and because there's totally a public bathroom nearby), and then hopped on a bus for the rest of the way home.






0 comments:
Post a Comment