August 11, 2017

CHICAGO MARATHON TRAINING WEEK 8

Another week in running (and selfies) ;) ...

SATURDAY // LONG RUN WITH NRC
15.3 MILES @ 9:20 MIN/MILE

Another struggle to get up and out at 5:00 am on a Saturday (woof), but another run in the books. It was a bit stormy and super humid, but thankfully not too hot.

When I arrived, there were more than 20 other runners. It always amazes me when so many others also show up at 6:00 am on a Saturday! It's good to feel like there are other crazies out there ;)


For the run, there were two main groups that went out, but I fit right between them.

One group of 10 was going at an 8:30 pace and another group of 10 was doing a 10:15 pace... and then there were 4 of us who fit anywhere in between there so yeah, about half the run was me on my own.

The miles came easily enough, but my legs still felt a bit tired from Week 7. I don't have complaints about that 9:20 min/mile pace though!


At night, Joe and I dressed up and went out for all you can eat sushi!


Look at all that sushi! Total run-refuel heaven! I also maybe beat Joe in number of pieces eaten, which I was probably proud about...


SUNDAY // RECOVERY RUN
6.3 MILES @ 10:42 MIN/MILE

Some Sunday funday miles. This run felt like a struggle after Saturday's long run, but I reminded myself that I just needed to run - no pace goal in mind or anything.



I ran up through the zoo and back on the new (soon-to-be-paved) gravel path along the lakefront.


After I rewarded myself with a large Slurpee, because that's been my hot day run go to lately.

TUESDAY // SPEED RUN
1 MILE @ TEMPO, 4 x .75 MILES @ 5K
(5.3 MILES TOTAL WITH WARM UP/COOL DOWN)

This workout was sooo hard. We ran 1 mile at an 8:00 min pace (tempo) followed by .75 mile repeats at 7:20 min/mile (5K). It was one of those workouts where I felt super strong, but still couldn't keep up. I was about 3-5 seconds behind where I should've been for repeats 2-4, but I was so proud that I finished the workout. My timed mile was 7:27 a few months back, and there I was doing four .75 mile repeats between a 7:20 - 7:30 pace.

WEDNESDAY // RECOVERY RUN (TREADMILL)
2.4 MILES @ 9:37 MIN/MILE


So this was at 6:45 am on the treadmill only about 10 hours after finishing Tuesday's speed run. Usually I wouldn't do this, but I had plans to go out at night so figured my run had to fit in somewhere. The miles were easy but I felt nauseous and lightheaded after :(

THURSDAY // SICK

In the morning I thought I'd wait and see how I felt about my tempo run that evening. Then in the afternoon, I adjusted my expectations and thought I'd just run a super slow 6 miles to get my run in. And then when I felt awful just walking the 2 miles home, I adjusted my expectations again, and just put my running plans on hold indefinitely. As it turns out, the next time I ran was Monday night because I was so-o-o sick over the weekend. I've literally never had a worse cold in my life.

TOTAL // 29.3 MILES

0 comments:

Post a Comment